Health/Patient Advocates are experienced health care professionals who are passionate about supporting patients and families with serious and complex illnesses, injuries, and end-of-life concerns. They help them navigate our complex and fragmented Canadian healthcare system by empowering patients and their loved ones so no one falls through the cracks.
Canadian Health Advocates Inc. (CHAI)
Are you a good fit? Here are a few essentials:
- You are looking for a new career where you can make a difference in patients’ lives.
- Your passion is to advocate for your patients to get the care they need and deserve.
- You have a strong understanding of how the healthcare system works.
- You love teaching and coaching.
- You are an excellent listener, empathetic, and assertive. You are good at conflict resolution.
- You would love to be in a business where you are provided ongoing training, centralized marketing, and administrative support.
- You believe in personal growth. You are always striving to learn more about yourself and those around you.
- You understand the multiple disciplines and professional practitioners available in the public and private sectors.
- You have the ability to write and keep confidential, accurate patient records.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
As a CHAI Health Advocate, you are:
- Self-employed under the banner and support of Canadian Health Advocates Inc.
- Your own boss—you are directly responsible for lead generation and local marketing (CHAI will help with some advertising).
- A patient/family/caregiver Advocate.
- A navigator of the Canadian health-care system.
- A coach, teacher, collaborator, and networker.
- Able to work with your clients to empower them to move forward with their medical issues in a positive and collaborative way.
- Able to take advantage of training with the team—mentoring will be provided on an ongoing basis.
CHAI Health Advocates DO NOT provide personal care, drive clients in their own vehicles, give medical advice.
- This is a contract position.
- Compensation is by billable client hours/ retainer packages.
- Applicants must be self-motivated and be willing to network in their local area.
Compensation: Paid on billable hours: to be discussed with short-listed candidates.
Location: CHAI is based out of Nelson, BC and CHAI Advocates are located across Canada.
- Strong medical background
Minimum 5 years’ experience either in a hospital, in residential care, or in the community:
- Registered Nurse
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Social Worker
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse
- Medical Doctor
- Any other experiential medical/health-related profession
It is not necessary to currently hold your professional registration.